- Table of Contents
- 7.1. ( Distro ) - What Linux Distributions support IP Masquerading?
- 7.2. ( Requirements ) - What are the minimum hardware requirements and any
limitations for IP Masquerade? How well does it perform?
- 7.3. When I run the rc.firewall command, I get "command not found" errors.
- 7.4. I've checked all my configurations, I still can't get IP Masquerade to
work. What should I do?
- 7.5. How do I join or view the IP Masquerade and/or IP Masqurade Developers
mailing lists and archives?
- 7.6. How does IP Masquerade differ from Proxy or NAT services?
- 7.7. ( GUI ) - Are there any GUI firewall creation/management tools?
- 7.8. Does IP Masquerade work with dynamically assigned IP addresses?
- 7.9. Can I use a cable modem (both bi-directional and with modem returns),
DSL, satellite link, etc. to connect to the Internet and use IP Masquerade?
- 7.10. Can I use Diald or the Dial-on-Demand feature of PPPd with IP MASQ?
- 7.11. ( Apps ) - What applications are supported with IP Masquerade?
- 7.12. How can I get IP Masquerade running on Redhat, Debian, Slackware, etc.?
- 7.13. ( Timeouts ) - Connections seem to break if I don't use them often.
Why is that?
- 7.14. When my Internet connection first comes up, nothing works. If I try
again, everything then works fine. Why is this?
- 7.15. ( MTU ) - IP MASQ seems to be working fine but some sites don't work.
This usually happens with WWW and FTP.
- 7.15.1. Changing the MTU of a PPP link:
- 7.15.2. Old UNIX Serial interfaces:
- 7.15.3. PPPoE Users:
- 7.15.4. Linux:
- 7.15.5. MS Windows 95:
- 7.15.6. MS Windows 98:
- 7.15.7. MS Windows NT 4.x
- 7.15.8. MS Windows 2000
- 7.16. MASQed FTP clients don't work.
- 7.17. ( Performance ) - IP Masquerading seems slow
- 7.18. IP Masquerading with PORTFWing seems to break when my line is idle for long periods
- 7.19. Now that I have IP Masquerading up, I'm getting all sorts of weird
notices and errors in the SYSLOG log files. How do I read the IPFWADM/IPCHAINS
- 7.20. Can I configure IP MASQ to allow Internet users to directly contact
internal MASQed servers?
- 7.21. I'm getting "kernel: ip_masq_new(proto=UDP): no free ports." in my
SYSLOG files. Whats up?
- 7.22. I'm getting "ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Protocol not available" when
I try to use IPPORTFW!
- 7.23. ( SAMBA ) - Microsoft File and Print Sharing and Microsoft Domain clients
don't work through IP Masq! To properly support Microsoft's SMB protocol, an IP
Masq module would need to be written but there are three viable work-arounds.
For more details, please see
this Microsoft KnowledgeBase article.
- 7.24. ( IDENT ) - IRC won't work properly for MASQed IRC users. Why?
- 7.25. ( DCC ) - mIRC doesn't work with DCC Sends
- 7.26. ( IP Aliasing ) - Can IP Masquerade work with only ONE Ethernet network card?
- 7.27. ( MULTI-LAN ) - I have two MASQed LANs but they cannot communicate with
- 7.28. ( SHAPING ) - I want to be able to limit the speed of specific types of traffic
- 7.29. ( ACCOUNTING ) - I need to do accounting on who is using the network
- 7.30. ( MULTIPLE IPs ) - I have several EXTERNAL IP addresses that I want to
PORTFW to several internal machines. How do I do this?
- 7.31. I'm trying to use the NETSTAT command to show my Masqueraded
connections but its not working
- 7.32. ( VPNs ) - I would like to get Microsoft PPTP (GRE tunnels) and/or
IPSEC (Linux SWAN) tunnels running through IP MASQ
- 7.33. ( Games ) - I want to get the XYZ network game to work through IP MASQ but it won't
- 7.34. IP MASQ works fine for a while but then it stops working. A reboot
seems to fix this. Why?
- 7.35. ( SMTP Relay ) - Internal MASQed computers cannot send SMTP or POP-3 mail!
- 7.36. ( IPROUTE2 ) - I need different internal MASQed networks to exit on different external IP addresses
- 7.37. Why do the new 2.1.x and 2.2.x kernels use IPCHAINS instead of IPFWADM?
- 7.38. I've just upgraded to the 2.2.x kernels, why isn't IP Masquerade working?
- 7.39. I've just upgraded to a 2.0.38+ kernels later, why isn't IP Masquerade
- 7.40. I need help with EQL connections and IP Masq
- 7.41. ( Wussing out ) - I can't get IP Masquerade to work! What options do I
have for Windows Platforms?
- 7.42. ( Developers ) - I want to help with IP Masquerade development. What
can I do?
- 7.43. Where can I find more information on IP Masquerade?
- 7.44. ( Translators ) - I want to translate this HOWTO to another language,
what should I do?
- 7.45. This HOWTO seems out of date, are you still maintaining it? Can you
include more information on ...? Are there any plans for making this better?
- 7.46. I got IP Masquerade working, it's great! I want to thank you guys,
what can I do?
If you can think of any useful FAQ suggestions, please send it to
clearly state the question and an appropriate answer (if you have it). Thank
Copyright © 2005 LinuxSelfhelp.com. All rights reserved